Embracing the Magical Charm of Paris in December: A Winter Wonderland Getaway
Paris in December holds a special allure, with the city transforming into a winter wonderland. In this blog post, I’ll guide you through the best activities and spots to experience the enchanting side of Paris during the holiday season. Welcome to the City of Love, Paris, where romance reigns supreme, and magic is in the air!
Don’t have time to skim? Check out these Top Highlights:
1. Hotels: The Ritz Paris is an iconic luxury hotel, but there are many great options.
2. Food Tours offer a great way to get a feel for the Paris with a local.
3. The Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Sacre Coer, Notre Dame, Musee D’Orsay are must see. Save time and skip lines or reserve your entry time.
4. Cooking classes are a great way to immerse into the culture
*Please be advised that some of the links provided are affiliate/referral links and I do receive a small commission if you make a purchase using those links. This does not cost you any extra when you make a purchase. I very much appreciate your support of my blog and/or YouTube channel in doing so!* Please read my disclaimer for more information.
Table of contents
- Embracing the Magical Charm of Paris in December: A Winter Wonderland Getaway
- 1. Paris in December: A Winter Wonderland
- 2. The Ritz Paris : A Dreamy Home Away from Home
- 3. Cultural Romance: Exploring The Louvre
- 4. A Royal Affair: Versailles Palace
- 5. A Sparkling Night: Eiffel Tower at Twilight
- 6. Winter Activities: Ice Skating and More
- 7. Paris Shopping for Memories
- 8. Relaxation and Romance in Paris – Luxury Spa Retreats
- Ideas for How to Spend your days in Luxurious Paris
1. Paris in December: A Winter Wonderland
Arriving in Paris during December, I was captivated by the city’s festive lights, cozy ambiance, and the delightful scent of mulled wine at the Christmas Markets. It’s a magical backdrop for embracing the essence of the season.
2. The Ritz Paris: A Dreamy Home Away from Home
The Ritz Paris is the epitome of luxury and indulgence. Staying at The Ritz Paris feels like stepping into a fairytale, with opulent surroundings and exquisite dining. Whether you’re savoring a meal or simply enjoying the ambiance, this iconic hotel provides an unforgettable experience and impeccable service. The Ritz Club and Spa are absolutely stunning! I highly recommend the Iris rebalancing massage after a long flight. Remember to spend time at the luxurious indoor pool as well.
3. Cultural Romance: Exploring The Louvre
The Louvre is a treasure trove of history and art, offering an immersive cultural experience. I recommend this Viator to skip the line and see the most famous pieces within about 2 hours.
Discover magnificent architecture and famous artworks, including the little smile we all long to see on the Mona Lisa.
4. A Royal Affair: Versailles Palace
Versailles Palace’s opulence and breathtaking gardens are stunning. Explore the grandeur of the palace and enjoy a leisurely stroll through the gardens to immerse yourself in history.
5. A Sparkling Night: Eiffel Tower at Twilight
The Eiffel Tower, illuminated at twilight, is a must-see. Whether you’re dining at a restaurant or enjoying a glass of champagne, the views are simply magical. Savor the atmosphere and the twinkling sparkle lights (every hour in the evening) for a romantic and unforgettable experience. There is a restaurant there for a romantic lunch or dinner.
6. Winter Activities: Ice Skating and More
The Christmas season in Paris is magical with all of the holiday lights. Explore the beautifully lit streets, with Champs-Élysées and Place Vendôme being particularly renowned.
Glide on the ice at the Eiffel Tower, Hôtel de Ville or the Champs-Élysées Christmas Market, where you can revel in the holiday spirit. Ice skating in Paris is unforgettable. Ice skating is also available on the rooftop at Galeries Lafayette.
7. Paris Shopping for Memories
Paris in December is a shopper’s paradise with Christmas Markets for local artisan gifts.
Luxury shopping in Paris is plentiful. Shop for a special memory and then don’t forget the rooftop at Galeries Lafayette for amazing city views or floors 7 & 8 at Le Printemps Hausmann.
Get the insider scoop on where to shop with this private shopping tour.
8. Relaxation and Romance in Paris – Luxury Spa Retreats
Feeling jet lagged can be improved with a day-of-arrival massage. After a day of exploration, take a moment to relax and embrace the romance of Paris. For luxury spa experiences visit The Ritz Paris’s exceptional spa services.
Consider a peaceful riverside moment by the Seine to unwind and enjoy the city’s soothing ambiance. Anywhere you are in Paris find a cafe and just linger together with some wine or hot chocolate.
Ideas for How to Spend your days in Luxurious Paris
- Visit Montmartre: This historic neighborhood offers a unique charm in the winter. Explore the charming streets, visit the iconic Sacré-Cœur Basilica, and enjoy cozy cafes.
- Musical Performances: Check out classical music concerts or ballet performances at venues like the Opéra Garnier for a cultural and artistic experience.
- Wine Tasting: Warm up with wine tastings in the city’s wine bars and cellars. Learn about French wines and enjoy the cozy atmosphere.
- Explore Covered Passages: Paris has a number of beautiful covered passages like Galerie Vivienne and Passage des Panoramas. These historic arcades offer a perfect refuge on a rainy day.
- French Cooking Classes: Learn the art of French cooking with a culinary class. From making croissants to gourmet meals, it’s a fun way to spend a winter day.
- Antique Shopping: Explore the city’s antique shops and markets. You might find unique and charming pieces for your home.
- Christmas Lights: The Christmas season in Paris is magical. Explore the beautifully lit streets, with Champs-Élysées and Place Vendôme being particularly renowned.
- Chocolate and Pastry Tasting: Paris is known for its decadent pastries and chocolates. Take a food tour or simply explore various patisseries and chocolateries.
- Museums and Art Galleries: With fewer crowds in the winter, it’s a great time to explore Paris’s world-class museums, including the Musée d’Orsay and the Centre Pompidou.
- Seine River Cruises: A daytime or evening cruise along the Seine provides a unique perspective of the city, especially during the winter when the city lights twinkle in the evenings.
- Explore Parks: While gardens and parks may not be as lush in winter, they have a unique beauty. The Tuileries Garden and Luxembourg Gardens are great options.
- Attend Winter Festivals: Keep an eye out for special winter festivals and events.
- French Cinema: Enjoy a movie in one of the city’s charming independent cinemas.
- Bookstore Browsing: Paris is home to some of the most iconic bookstores in the world. Spend a cozy afternoon browsing through literature. Shakespeare and Co. is famous and has a cafe and a free bedroom inside.
- Food Tours are a great way to navigate the city with a local.
Remember that Paris has a lot to offer year-round, and the winter season has its own unique appeal with fewer crowds and a cozy ambiance.